What are the WEEE Regulations?
WEEE Regulations for disposal of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment
...Information for consumer customers in the Republic of Ireland
Look out for this symbol!
If the symbol shown here is found on any of your goods, it means that the product is classed as Electrical or Electronic Equipment and should not be disposed of with other household or commercial waste at the end of its working life.
The Waste of Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Regulations (SI 340 of 2005) have been put in place to recycle products using best available recovery and recycling techniques to minimise the impact on the environment, treat any hazardous substances, avoid the increasing landfill and to increase re-use.
What does this mean for dabs.ie customers?
Visible Environmental Management (vEMC) costs are being introduced under the Directive on Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Regulations to fund the recycling and safe disposal of old electronic equipment, from small household items such as hairdryers and radios, through to larger products such as fridge freezers and cookers. The Environmental Management costs for communications and computing equipment will be met by the producers. These costs go towards funding a recycling scheme which ensures all items are disposed of in an environmentally sound manner.
The actual cost amounts have been set and agreed according to specific product types and are the same regardless of brand, or the outlet in the Republic of Ireland from where an item is purchased.
In full compliance with the WEEE Regulations, dabs.ie will happily take back Waste and Electronic Equipment from members of the public where equivalent replacement goods have been purchased via our website. Environmental Management costs will be applied to the retail price of new electrical and electronic goods.
As Dabs are based in the UK and are distance selling into the Republic of Ireland, it does not make environmental sense for us to recover WEEE back to the UK. Therefore the facility outlined below has been made available for use by our customers in the Republic of Ireland.
dabs.ie customers in the Republic of Ireland
- Consumers from private households in the Republic of Ireland will be able to return waste electrical and electronic equipment to dabs.ie free of charge (except postage costs) on a one-to-one basis. This means that when purchasing an equivalent product, you can return your old version to us provided it is a like-for-like equivalent, or has fulfilled the same function as the newly supplied equipment.
- For example, you're entitled to send back a drill, provided you purchased a new drill.
- Items you are returning as WEEE must be returned within a maximum of 30 days from the date of delivery.
The Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations (SI 340 of 2005) (WEEE) have been put in place to ensure that products are recycled using best available treatment, recovery and recycling techniques to ensure human health and high environmental protection. When you have finished with a WEEE product, please do not put in your domestic waste bin as it will not be recycled. Please use one of the following disposal options instead:
- Firstly remove the batteries and deposit them in the appropriate container at your Local Civic Amenity Site (Waste Tip). This will assist in recycling of the batteries.
- When you purchase a replacement product, hand the old equivalent product back to the retailer. They should accept it as a requirement under the WEEE Regulations (SI 340 of 2005). In Dabs' case, as we are a distance selling retailer, we have made the facility below available for our customers.
- Or take the product to the local Civic Amenity Site (Waste Tip) and deposit it in the dedicated WEEE area.
- All of the above options enable the product and the batteries to be treated in accordance with the WEEE Regulations (SI 340 of 2005).
How to Return Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) to dabs.ie
Dabs' WEEE Registration Number is IE 00942WB.
We have provided the following facility where Dabs customers can leave WEEE goods. Please package and return goods (clearly marking the dabs.ie sales order reference number of the replacement goods you have purchased on the outside of the packaging) to:
Grand Canal Plaza
Upper Grand Canal Street
Special Note for Business Customer in the Republic of Ireland
Business customers please note that this facility is for consumer customers only. Business customers should click here for further WEEE information.